Tuesday, October 21, 2014

CHAPTER ONE HUNDRED AND THIRTY EIGHT: IT’S THE LITTLE THINGS


CHAPTER ONE HUNDRED AND THIRTY EIGHT: IT’S THE LITTLE THINGS

As we enter the World Series between the SF Giants and the KC Royals, I am reminded that it is always the little things that count the most – like laying down the perfect bunt, making the routine fly ball to center field, shoveling a grounder in the hole from short to second perfectly for a double play. The home runs are exciting, and we remember them, but it’s the little things that inspire us. It’s the things that we think could do, if we played baseball, the things that are ordinary day-to-day feats expected of all competent ball players. It’s the meat-and-potatoes, the basics. Nothing fancy, just things that are done to get the out, advance the runner – and win the game! It’s called “small ball”, and KC has mastered this kind of baseball in the postseason, as its 8 and 0 record shows. Plus they have a ton of speed on the base path – base-stealing is an extraordinary skill, the grounded, linear version of the towering home run. And it probably produces more runs than homers do. Still, just as football games come down to a positive turnover ratio, baseball games are won and lost by which team did the “little things” better. Go Giants!

In my non-baseball life, it’s the little things that delight me the most. We were at Sentara Heart Hospital in Norfolk today, and my heart was warmed by the number of people who smiled and said “hello” to me, a complete stranger, and who helped me find my way through the maze of corridors from the Heart Hospital to the Main Hospital. I did not even have to ask for help. As soon as I had a puzzled look on my face while reading a sign, someone came up beside me and asked me if I needed help. It’s the little things like that which I will remember from our visit to Sentara.

It’s also little phrases used by friends which stay with me and make me smile. My friend, Mary Jane, calls me “missy”. I love that. Our friend, Pat, coined the phrase “Bethlehem Babes” for our group of 6 who re-unite once a year and reminisce back to our kindergarten rest periods. I have to laugh every time I read or hear “Bethlehem Babes”. Sondra calls me “kiddo”, usually in the sentence “That’s all I know, kiddo.” How many people say “kiddo” anymore? It brings a smile to my face. And the Admiral calls me “Mimi” or “Mimo” – I like my name, Ann, for its simplicity and grace, but “Mimi” warms me up every time I hear it.

Small kindnesses – they’re the best. Yesterday, I had the opportunity to offer rides to two people, who otherwise might have waited a half hour for the Enterprise driver to return. It felt so good helping them in that small way. Wee gifties are super too. I love to send small things through the mail – a tee shirt to my brother in law, a scarf to Art’s daughter, a book to Janie, and cards, cards, cards. I love getting things, but I think that sending things makes me feel even better.

The nights that the Admiral washes and dries the dishes –after doing all the cooking too -- those are great nights. The days that a deli or grocery store person gives you a few extra slices of cheese for free – pretty cool. An orchid in a pot – it needs three ice cubes a week for sustenance – fills every day on Slow Motion with beauty. A text or phone call from a friend or my brother or sister or nieces or nephews – letting me know what they’re thinking and doing – that usually makes my day extra special.
That’s it. That’s all I wanted to write today. Thank you for enriching my life.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home